Monday 4 November 2013

Leathem Gillespie in WW1 times.

My Great Grandfather Donald Gillespie immigrated in 1911 from kirkcaldy Scotland via London, with his wife Margaret Gillespie and daughter Margaret C Gillespie.

Wally Leathem Married daughter Margaret and she had my father John Wallace, she died soon after, and all connection with Gillespie’s gone, until I found this which tells me that My Grandfather Wally met Donald at war maybe? 

In any case Donald Gillespie was also fighting the good fight as Wally and the Leathem’s would say back then, sad to think they fell apart, being gassed in the war can’t be good for any one, but it seems he kept on keeping on until he went. 

I will find his war records etc, but we have no Gillespie memorabilia not even a photo of my Grandmother Margaret.

I will have to find out what happened to Margret My Great grandmother Donald's wife, as she seamed to be left behind alone, and if Margret was her only child she was taken a year later.
How very sad….

So that’s about it and if anyone knows anything please let me know Nancy.

The Register Adelaide
9 Jan 1928.

Mr D. Gillespie, who died st Quornon January 3, will be missed by golf enthusiasts around Adelaide.

He migrated from Scotland in 1911, when war was declared he enlisted with the Australian Expeditionary Forces.
He was invalided as result of being gassed.

On His return to Australia Mr. Gillespie was employed as caretaker of the Seaton Park Golf Links -which position he held until his health failed. : He then went to Oodnadatta, and 12 months ago. Removed to Quorn. A widow survives him.


The Sydney Morning Herald
29 Dec 1930
LEATHEM-

In loving memory of my dear wife and my dear mother, Margaret Catherine, who passed away December 28, 1929.
God's greatest gift-remembrance.
Inserted by her loving husband, Wally, and son, John.

No comments:

Post a Comment