Friday 18 April 2014

Dr William Large (1806-1881) surgeon, witness in country murder case 1856, TUMUT.

Empire Sydney
21 may 1856

MURDER AT TUMUT.   
   
To the Editor of the Empire.    

SIR - would you permit ma to draw your attention, and that of your readers, to circumstance which occurred here on the 11th instant, involving the dilatory manner in which the affairs concerning the welfare of our community are conducted by our paid Government officials, and the necessity of some amendment in the law to meet the requirements of the very extensive population now in the bush arising from this maladministration.

 On the ll th instant, at about six o'clock in the evening, a man apparently betwixt forty and fifty years of age, and whose character is here spoken of well, was stabbed with a butcher's knife in the abdomen with so much violence as to cause his death in nine hours after, the occurrence.

The chief constable of the district, Mr. Murphy, was in immediate attendance, and he took the perpetrator of this foul deed into custody.

It unfortunately happened that there was but one old man, who is almost too deaf to hear a question addressed to him unless by someone with stentorian lungs, present, who saw the crime committed and the circumstances attending it, consequently, it was absolutely necessary that corroborative testimony to this man's statement should be obtained, at all events it ought to have been palpable to the individual occupying tho important post of chief constable, that it was his duty to acquaint the nearest magistrate with the transaction in order that the dying declaration of the wounded party might be taken ere it be too late, and more especially when Doctor Large gave it as his decided opinion (and the, chief constable knew it) that the man could not survive beyond the following morning.

This important step there was ample time to effect in this case, and would have obviated that disposition to prevarication so prominent in judicial inquiries of every nature in this country amongst witnesses of a certain class. 

No such information was, or even attempted to be, transmitted as stated; but through, actual negligence of the authorities proofs of an atrocious crime wore left solely at the option of an almost imbecile, and the statement made by this person to Doctor Large when bringing him to attend the case.

"That he saw the stab given," and clearly described the injury inflicted-was for want of corroborative testimony so disgracefully neglected, so mutilated, and altered, before the magistrate the next day, that, instead of no crime being developed tantamount to murder, not even one to which the title of aggravated manslaughter could be applied was arrived at, but justice almost entirely defeated.

I chanced to visit the patient with Doctor Large at twelve o'clock on the evening in question, and suggested to the parties who had concerned themselves in the matter the propriety of obtaining the prompt attendance of a magistrate, that the legal forms of a dying declaration might be compiled with, in which Doctor Large urgently joined me; but the scheme being considered impracticable from the great distance (4 miles) to the residence of the nearest magistrate, and feeling the urgent necessity of then deviating from the legal formalities in the absence of magisterial power in the bush, and from the probability of a speedy termination to the wounded man's life.

I immediately, and in the presence of a few respectable and creditable witnesses, at Doctor Large’s request, proceeded to take down upon paper, the dying declaration of the man, which corroborated the statement of the witness alluded to above as given to Doctor Large, which was duly attested by three others as well as Doctor Large.

This document was delivered to C. N. Lockhart, Esq., J.P., on the judicial enquiry next day, who pronounced it, for want of the legal formalities which his officials did not deem possible to comply with, "no better than the paper it was written upon," and the only reprimand the chief constable received Was that "he ought to have sent for Mr Lockhart."

I can only add that had the declaration been received, and Doctor Large been examined upon the first statement made to him, which would have induced the witness to speak out, and the case properly adjudicated, the decision should have  assumed a far more serious aspect ; but the negligence of the authorities in addition to-the admissibility of certain evidence, unless in a certain form which circumstances rendered it impossible to comply with, although rendered nugatory through the inactivity of the constables, is permitted to defeat the ends of justice, even as concerns our very lives, it were therefor expedient that some means are adopted to produce a more healthy tone of administration in the bush without delay.
Your obedient servant, '

THOS. B. SLATER.

Tumut, 13th May, 1856.


The Goulburn Herald and County of Argyle Advertiser NSW
27 Sept 1856

Wednesday Sept. 24
Before his Honour Mr. Justice Therry.


SENTENCES.

MURDER.
William Nowlan was indicted for the wilful murder of Nicholas Creaghan at Tumut, on the 11th May.

At the request of his Honour, Mr. Blake with Mr. C. H Walsh conducted the defence. 

Mr. Isaacs having stated the case to the jury, called-

Eliza Eggleton, who, on being sworn, deposed:
I am the wife of William Eggleton, of the Tumut; he is a blacksmith by trade; I remember the 11th of May. know prisoner; I knew Nicholas Creaghan; he was working for my husband; both were living at my husband's; 
I was at church on that day; on returning home we had dinner, and later in the day I prepared the table for tea; I remember placing on the table a knife which was frequently used for cutting up meat; 

I recollect seeing prisoner take the knife of the table, and while holding it in his hand said to me that he would have satisfaction that evening he sat down by the side of the fireplace, I said "nonsense, man, put the knife down;"

I went out to call the children to tea, therefore cannot say if he put the knife down; I was absent from the room ten or twenty minutes; I went back on being called by my husband; he was outside the house with the deceased man, 
Nicholas Creaghan; my husband said Creaghan was stabbed; I saw a wound in Creaghan's side; there was a great deal of blood; 
I went into the kitchen, the prisoner was there and an old man named Simmons; I found the knife on the table, it had blood on it to the handle, I afterwards gave it to the constable.

By his Honour: When I saw deceased, Nowlan with my husband was outside the house; he had his land to his side; he was supported by my husband; when I went into the room where prisoner was, I charged him with having stabbed Creaghan; he said "that's a pretty yarn, he fell down and did it himself.

By Mr. Blake: Creaghan was not in the room when I went out to call the children to tea.

By his Honour: The prisoner is a blacksmith, Creaghan was a shoemaker.
(The knife was here handed to the jury: it is a cutting up knife, such as used by butchers.)

William Eggleton sworn: I am a blacksmith and live at Tumut Creaghan and prisoner were living at my house in May last; about six in the evening I met Creaghan coming out, of the house; he was stabbed in the left side, his bowels were out; the knife produced is that which we were in the habit of using for carving, but cannot say that it was on the tea table that night; I was induced to go to the kitchen from hearing a noise as if someone had pushed up against the table.

Robert Simmons, who is an old and very deaf man, deposed I lived with the last witness; I recollect a quarrel taking place between the prisoner and deceased, one evening in May last; it took place in Eggleton's kitchen; deceased and prisoner had some words; owing to the witness's deafness he could not say what the words were:- 

prisoner was sitting on a stool by the fire; the deceased, Creaghan, went up to the fire to light his pipe; the deceased struck the prisoner and knocked him down, and afterwards struck several blows and fell on the top of prisoner; Creaghan got up and went out; 

prisoner afterwards drew the knife across his own throat and then chucked it down on the tablet the knife produced is the one which I saw used; Mrs. Eggleton came in a minute or two afterwards; she said that Creaghan was stabbed; I went out and saw Creaghan he was wounded in the side his bowels were hanging out; Eggleton wanted me to put them in, but I refused and went for the doctor; prisoner was not in the kitchen when Mrs. Eggleton came in and said that Creaghan was stabbed.

By his Honour: The prisoner did nothing to the deceased before deceased struck him.

George Curl, sworn: I am a constable in the Tumut police on the 11th May, while I was going on duty, I heard Mrs. Eggleton call me; she said " there is a man stabbed " on going into the house I saw Nicholas Croaghan; there was some blood on him ; Mrs. Eggletoton called out to me that the prisoner was going away at the back of the premises I went up to him and brought him back to where Nicholas was; I said "Nicholas, what's wrong with you;" prisoner was standing close to me at the time; deceased said "my guts are out " 
I asked him who had done it; he turned round, and pointing to the prisoner said, "he had done it;" deceased had the other hand holding up the guts; 

I told prisoner I must take him in charge for stabbing; when I was putting the handcuffs on he said he supposed they were for life; I then took prisoner to the lock-up; I cautioned the prisoner; I told him not to tell me anything as I would keep no secrets; he said that deceased was setting the tea things on the table that he went to the fire to light his pipe, and fell down with the knife in his hand, and that was how he was stabbed.

Robert Simmons, by his Honour recalled: When the prisoner drew the knife across his throat he did not cut himself.

Dr. William Large, sworn: I am a duly qualified practitioner, and reside at Tumut; I knew Nicholas Creaghan ; on Sunday evening, 11th May, I was sent for; I found a stab under Creaghan's left rib; the bowels were obtruding; there was a quantity of blood; I had  deceased removed from the ground and placed on the table, and commenced replacing the obtruding Bowels; I discovered three cuts in the intestines; I think they were all inflicted with one prod; having returned the intestines I brought the lips of the wound together; 

I saw deceased again at 12 o'clock; he was sinking; next morning it was reported to me that he was dead; death was caused by the wounds inflicted; they were simple incised wounds and could be inflicted by the knife produced; they were three or four inches deep; is soon as I Saw the deceased I told him he could not live till morning; I made a postmortem examination; 

I then discovered a fourth wound which could have been inflicted at the same time as the others; after I told the deceased he could not live he made a statement, but at the same time he (deceased) had hopes of his own recovery.

[The statement could not be received as it was not made after the deceased had himself no hope of recovery.]

Charles Norman Lockhart, Esq., deposed: I am a magistrate of the territory, and live at the Tumut. 
I know the prisoner; he was before me in May on a charge of murder. 
After the proceedings were closed, and he was committed for trial, he intimated to me that he wished to speak to me; he made a statement; he was not cautioned before he made it.

Mr. Blake objected to its reception.
Mr. Isaacs: It is not affected by the Act, as it was no part of the proceeding; it was after they were closed.

Examination continued: When prisoner was brought to me, he said that he wished to open his mind in the case and to ease it. I told him that I should write down whatever he said.

By his Honor: This statement was offered either one or two days after the committal of this prisoner.

After an argument by Mr. Blake and Mr. Isaacs, his Honor ruled that the statement was admissible.

The following is the statement made by the prisoner: He states that on the previous examination he had been warned not to criminate himself, but that now he wished to open his mind in the case.

“On the Sunday evening when this accident occurred, I was sitting by the fireside myself and old Bob. Deceased came to the fire, and asked for liberty of the fire; he had the knife in his hand. I told him there was as much room for himself as for another, he- stooped to the fire to light his pipe, and put a coal on his pipe with the point of the knife. As he rose from the fire he said, “You bloody wretch.” I looked at him as he spoke. Turned towards the fire to take my countenance off him. 

As soon as I did so, he up with his fist and hit me on the neck, and knocked me on to the floor. 
He fell on to me on the floor, assaulted me with his knees and his right hand. 
I confined the left hand, in which the knife was in. 
After some struggling, I received the knife from him, and I stabbed him in the left side with the knife, seeing that he made an attempt on my life, and I had no other way of releasing myself. 

He rose, and went out and told Eggleton that I had struck him. I saw no more of him until the constable came and took me. Creaghan went in and sat by the fire, and made some motion to the constable that I struck him. This occurrence was done through the deceased's own doings.
I was sitting quietly, molesting nobody.

The case for the Crown having closed,
Mr. Blake addressed the jury for the prisoner, contending that the evidence went merely to prove the lesser offence of manslaughter against the prisoner. His Honor minutely summed up, pointing out the distinction between murder and manslaughter.

The jury retired at a quarter past one o'clock to consider their verdict, and returned into Court at a quarter to two with a verdict of murder, coupled with a strong recommendation to mercy, on account of the provocation the prisoner had received. 

Mr. Isaacs having prayed the judgment of the Court upon the prisoner, His Honour, in passing sentence, said, that the recommendation of the jury would be represented in the proper quarter; but as there was nothing in the circumstances of the case which could induce him to doubt the propriety of the verdict, he saw no reason for withholding the sentence of the law. 

His Honour invited the prisoner to prepare for the awful change which awaited him, by occupying the time with the devotions of religion.
He besought him to think no more of this world, but to fix his thoughts on the next.

The sentence of the Court was, that he, William Nowlan, be taken to the place from whence he came, and, on a day to be hereafter appointed by the Governor General, to be taken to the place of execution, and there to be hung by the neck until his body is dead. And the Lord have mercy on his soul.

[His honour was much moved while passing sentence.]

The Prisoner, who had listened to the trial with fixed attention, heard the judgment of the Court without exhibiting any emotion.

He was then handcuffed, and removed to gaol.


The Sydney Morning Herald NSW
30 Sept 1856
SOUTHERN DISTRICT.
(From the Goulburn Herald of Saturday.)

THE CONDEMNED CONVICT. - Nowlan, who was sentenced to death on Wednesday last for a murder at Tumut, is a blacksmith by trade, and was some time since employed as such, by both Mr Daniels and Mr Williams of this town.

LINK TO: DR Large Country practice 1.
http://leathemhistory.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/dr-william-james-large-1806-1881.html
LINK TO: DR Large Country practice 2.
LINK TO: Dr Large Obituary:
http://leathemhistory.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/obituarys-of-dr-william-large.html

No comments:

Post a Comment